Steven Price

My book

Media Minefield


Guide to NZ Media Law

Official Information Act

Official Information Act


Bill of Rights Act

Media law resources

Feeds (RSS)

Press Council

« Previous Entries

No one-stop media regulator

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013

The good news, for the Law Commission: the government thinks the Commission’s report on media regulation -  recommending the establishment of a one-stop media complaints body serving print, broadcast and online platforms - is “excellent”.
The bad news: the government has rejected that recommendation.
I summarised the Commission’s proposal in an earlier post. In short, the idea […]

The NZ Herald’s weird response to the Law Commission

Thursday, March 28th, 2013

The NZ Herald has editorialised about the Law Commission’s proposal to set up a new News Media Standards Authority.
It seems to veer between cautiously welcoming the report, and suggesting that the system ain’t broke. (No mention of the increasing absurdity of having different standards and complaints processes applying  to what is essentially identical material, or the […]

One-stop-shop for media complaints - Law Commission

Tuesday, March 26th, 2013

The NZ Law Commission has recommended that we scrap the Press Council, Broadcasting Standards Authority and nascent Online Media Standards Authority, and replace them with one body setting and policing news standards across the board.
The Commission suggests we call it the “News Media Standards Authority” (NMSA). It would look more like the current Press Council […]

We don’t need no stinking press regulation

Thursday, December 6th, 2012

The Herald’s lawyer, Alan Ringwood, argues that we don’t need any statutory press regulation in NZ. Don’t listen to Levenson, he says. We don’t need to go there. (Full article here).
I guess it’s not a news flash that the Herald’s lawyer would oppose statutory restrictions on the Herald. But I’m interested in his argument. It’s […]

Come on NZ Herald, make a clean breast of it

Friday, September 7th, 2012

The Press Council has partly upheld a complaint against the NZ Herald for its inaccurate and unfair editorial on the Piri Weepu breast/bottle feeding saga. It has also upheld a complaint against the Herald on Sunday for its coverage.
Thus, the papers have had to publish a summary of the decisions. (They point out that the full decision […]

How to apply the Bill of Rights

Friday, July 27th, 2012

The Broadcasting Standards Authority (in the wake of several High Court decisions, and perhaps aware of some of the criticisms I made with Claudia Geiringer) commissioned me to provide some advice on how the Bill of Rights applies to them and how they can practically integrate it into their decision-making. They have posted my paper […]

Of sneaky devices

Sunday, November 13th, 2011

John Key’s cunning plan to send a signal to the troops by sitting down for a cuppa with Act’s John Banks may have come undone by another sneaky device.
It seems that the conversation was recorded and may contain “game-changing” comments, according to the Herald on Sunday. The paper says a freelance cameraman was stopped from retrieiving […]

Jonathan Marshall’s methods

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011

I have been contacted by a student at Victoria University who said he was approached by the Sunday Star-Times’ Jonathan Marshall at university last week, on the hunt for information about the 18-year-old at the centre of the Darren Hughes incident.
He said Marshall asked him to go to a university office and pretend to be […]

Memo to HOS: When a man is accused of dismembering his former partner, don’t pap their 5-year-old kid

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010

Yes, even if he may be an important witness. Especially if he may be an important witness.
Even if he’s in a public place.
Even if a different picture of the boy and his mum was supplied by the police. (Memo to the police: What the hell were you thinking?)
Also, don’t try to justify this sort of shoddy […]

Press Council agrees with me

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010

You might remember that I lambasted the Sunday Star-Times for its misleading front-page headline “Sex attack gets drunk driver off”. The story was about a woman convicted of drunk driving who hadn’t even appealed that conviction, only her sentence.
Well, Andrew Geddis was equally incensed, and complained to the Press Council. It upheld the complaint.

« Previous Entries